When it comes to succeeding in the grants world, there's a lot more to it than simply purchasing a software solution. As a software company, eCivis certainly believes technology plays a critical role in enhancing the grant process, but we also understand that the internal challenges organizations face in applying for and winning grants cannot be overcome by a software solution alone.
In an effort to better understand customer challenges, our customer support team began cataloging these issues to find common themes and develop solutions. Here are some of the most frequent comments we received:
- I’ve been told that I need to start applying for grants, but I’ve never done it before. I don’t even know where to start.
- I barely have enough time to apply for the grants I know about, much less pursue additional grants.
- We’ve tried applying for grants in the past and just haven’t been successful. Our community isn’t eligible for most funding.
- Grants are just one small part of my job. We really want to be more active with grants, but I just don’t have time to write the applications when there's such a short window to apply.
If you’ve been involved in grants for any period of time, I’m sure you can relate to at least one of the comments above. To address these challenges, we put together regionally based webinars with a team that consisted of our most successful clients, the regional eCivis Client Services Representative, and our Vice President of Grants Writing Services Beverly Browning. The result was the "Keys to Grant Success" webinars. One of our webinars can be found here - just click on the "Keys to Grant Success" tab.
Here are some of the topics covered by the presenters:
eCivis Client Services Representatives
- Aligning funding opportunities to specific projects and programs
- Approaching opportunities with the eyes of a funder
- Identifying and prioritizing grant-eligible projects
Hilary Crowley | Fund Development Consultant | Alameda County Health Care Services Agency, CA
- Centralized management
- Risk assessment
- Long-term planning
Jeanna Cox | Senior Planner | Polk County, FL
- Practical help with private grants
Becky Zocklein | Grant Writer | Oldham County, KY
- Grants as a solution to a problem
- Researching the right sources
- Talking to funders
Beverly Browning | Vice President of Grant Writing Services | eCivis
- Understanding the peer review process
- Avoiding common pitfalls
- Thinking like a funder
Each webinar focused on the challenges unique to their region and sought to provide constructive takeaways to help move organizations forward in their grant processes. Rather than suggesting sweeping changes that can make you feel overwhelmed, the webinars provide simple steps for practical improvement.
I'm excited to provide another round of the "Keys to Grant Success" webinars this fall. If you have topics that you would like addressed, please send us a message either by leaving a comment below or filling out this two-question survey. Your voice shapes what we deliver.