Last Friday, the U.S. Department of Education announced the award of $9.2 million in grants to nine states to improve personnel training systems to help children with disabilities. States receiving grants are: Arizona, Arkansas, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Minnesota, Montana, Nevada, and Tennessee.
The State Personnel Development Grants Program awards will support a number of projects, including:
- Recruitment and retention of highly qualified special education teachers
- Training in how to provide students with disabilities access to the general education curriculum
- Teacher coaching and mentoring
- Comprehensive online professional development
- Training in increasing reading achievement for students with specific learning disabilities
The grants are being funded under the Office of Special Education and Rehabilitative Services. Grants Network users can read about and track the grant opportunity here.